One of the most beautiful places on Earth is Hanauma Bay. Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve offers spectacular views and some of the best snorkeling in the world.
We used the shuttle service from Hawaii Discount to get to Hanuama Bay. We were picked up in Waikiki by a friendly driver for the 30 minute ride to Hanuama Bay. We were happy we chose the Hawaii shuttle service because when we arrived we realized we would have been out of luck if we had driven ourselves because the parking lot was already full.
When we stepped out of the shuttle we were greeted with the beauty of Hanauma Bay. This famous view is breathtaking.
The price for the shuttle includes transportation and snorkel equipment. All visitors over the age of 12 are required to pay $7.50 for entry to the park. (There is no charge for Active Duty US Military) Hanuama Bay is open 6:00 am-7:00pm (subject to change) and is closed on Tuesdays.
Hanuama Bay Nature Preserve once had over 3 million visitors a year. In 1990 Hanuama Bay reduced the number of visitors, instituted supportive restrictions and established an education program. This initiative has reestablished the pristine ecosystem. In August 2002 the Marine Education Center opened. The Marine Education Center has exhibits where you can learn more about Hanauma Bay. All visitors must watch a short video about respecting the bay.
You can take a tram down the hill to the beach or you can walk along the scenic path. I suggest walking – it is a short walk with many great photo opportunities!
I couldn’t wait to get to the crystal blue water and experience Hanauma Bay Snorkeling! We stashed our belongings in a locker and hit the beach. Locker Rental was $7.00. After seeing the prices for mask, snorkel and fins rentals ($12) we were glad we had taken the Hanuama Bay Shuttle that included snorkel gear.
After many Hawaii Snorkeling adventures I was ready to take on Hanuama Bay!
Hanauma Bay did not disappoint! As soon as we got into the water we were greeted with colorful fish and beautiful marine life.
Check out this video of Hanuama Bay Hawaii Snorkeling!
After Hanuama Bay Snorkeling the scenic beach was a great place to catch some rays and people watch!
Showers are available so you are able to rinse off before the Hawaii shuttle ride home.
Once again you have the choice to walk up the hill or take the tram. I found it funny that the tram that takes you down to the beach cost $1.00 but it is $1.25 for the ride back up the hill. After some serious Hawaii snorkeling the tram is a welcome sight but once again I opted to walk so I could soak in the sights.
Hanuama Bay is my favorite Hawaii Snorkeling location. It is perfect for snorkelers of all ages. Those that want to stay near the shore still experience a variety of beautiful, colorful fish and those that want to venture out can explore all that Hanauma Bay has to offer.
Hanuama Bay Snorkeling Tips:
- Arrive Early – This is one of the most popular Hawaii Activities and it can get crowded
- Be Patient – Depending on crowds you may be assigned a time to watch the video. Trust me it is worth the wait.
- Repeat Visitor List – If you plan to return to Hanauma Bay within the year be sure to sign the repeat visitor list so you can skip the video on your next visit.
- Do not visit on a Tuesday – Hanauma Bay is closed on Tuesdays for environmental conservation
- I HIGHLY recommend taking the Hanuama Bay Shuttle from Waikiki. Not only will you save the headache or driving and parking – it includes snorkel gear and you don’t have to worry that the parking lot may be full. The driver gives you several options for pick up times so you can choose how long you would like to stay and enjoy Hanuama Bay.
Everyone should include a trip to Hanauma Bay when planning their Hawaii Activities! Have you been to Hanauma Bay? What was your favorite thing about it?