Happy 4th of July! Today as we celebrate Independence Day I can’t help but think of my favorite Oahu Activities – Pearl Harbor Tours! A visit to the USS Missouri, Arizona Memorial & Punchbowl National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific is a deeply moving patriotic experience.
|Photo Submitted by Russ Comandatore|
Immerse yourself in World War II history! Walk in the exact same footsteps as America’s Heroes! Journey from the sight of the December 7, 1941 Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor to the signing of Japanese surrender aboard the USS Missouri.
At the Arizona Memorial Visitor Center you will see an excellent film of the 1941 Pearl Harbor attack. You can also browse through the fascinating displays and artifacts. You will then board the Navy launch for a trip to the Arizona Memorial.
|Photo Submitted By Lue Jones|
At the Pacific Aviation Museum you will delve into the history of military flight. See classic American and Japanese airplanes. The Pacific Aviation Museum is located on historic Ford Island in World War II era hangars and includes a Japanese fighter and the Grumman F4F Wildcat.
Take a tour of the USS Missouri, the world’s most famous battleship which served from World War II to Desert Storm.
|Photo Submitted By Melissa Solesbee Perry|
Some of the Hawaii Discount Pearl Harbor Tours also include sights such as
- Iolani Palace, the only royal palace on American soil
- Kawaiahao Church – the church of Hawaiian monarch
- State Library and Archives
- State of King Kamehameha – the Hawaiian warrior-king who united the Hawaiian Islands
- Punchbowl National Cemetery – view the meticulously landscaped grounds which include the Courts of the Missing, the chapel and the detailed mosaic maps of the Pacific theaters of action in World War II and Korea
I hope everyone has a fun and safe Fourth of July! Thank you to all who have served and those that are currently serving our country!